The ACL, or anterior cruciate ligament, is a ligament located inside the knee joint. It is one of the most important of four strong ligaments connecting the bones of the knee joint. The other three ligaments being the Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL), Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) and Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL).
The function of the ACL is to prevent excessive forward movement of the lower leg bone (the tibia) in relation to the thigh bone (the femur), as well as limits rotational movements of the knee. Anterior cruciate ligament injuries are more frequent in females with between 2 and 8 times more females suffering a rupture than males. Skiers are more prone to ACL injuries due to twisting (torsional) falls, missteps and binding release issues. Improper condition also is a major cause of ACL and other ligament injuries.
The DonJoy Armor Extreme was designed for the most active of individuals. It offers many features that improve comfort and stability, without sacrificing support.
- A unique 4-Points-of-Leverage cuff and strap configuration, exerting a posterior force against the tibia, preventing anterior movement.
- A strong and lightweight 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum frame for medial / lateral control ensures maximum rigidity.
- Swiveling strap tabs on the frame accommodates changing leg and muscle positions.
- Anti-migration Supra Condyle Pad prevents slippage of the brace.
- Short Calf version to accommodate ski boots.
- Standard Polycentric Hinges for more natural knee range of motion.
- Silver-veined powder coat finish for maximum durability for the serious athlete.
- Optional Patella/Shin impact guards and calf pinch guard.
- Moldable, medial swooping frame for custom fit.
The Armor Extreme comes in a standard length and short calf for ski boot clearance. The brace also comes in a Ski version, which has a medial hinge deflector built into the inside hinge of the brace. This unique feature is for patients that wear two frames braces at the same time. The medial deflector prevents the hinges from catching when the knees are together, thereby preventing potential injury.
The Armor Extreme has been available for many years and has proven to be one of the most functional and supportive braces on the market. Donjoy is one of the largest brace manufacturers in the world and there products have been used by thousands of athletes. If someone requires a maximum supportive brace without customization, the Armor Extreme is one of the best choices in this very competitive market.
It is always recommended to consult with your treating doctor to determine the correct brace for your orthopedic condition.
Dr. Kenneth Shapiro is one of the medical advisors for The Brace Shop, an online orthopedic medical supply company. The Brace Shop is one of the premiere websites that sells The DonJoy Armor Knee Brace. They provide one of the largest selections of extremity braces, therapy products and accessories on the internet. Go to http://www.braceshop.com for more information on all the knee braces The Brace Shop has to offer.
Article Source: Product Review - DonJoy Armor Extreme Knee Brace For Skiing
- 25/03/2012 01:15 - Parasailing, water skiing and more at Sammy Duvall's Watersports Centre
- 25/03/2012 01:15 - Increasing the Chances of a Great Family Skiing Holiday
- 25/03/2012 01:15 - My First Ski Trip To New Zealand - Who Knew Skiing Was So Popular Around Here!
- 25/03/2012 01:15 - Taking Skiing Holidays To Another Dimension
- 25/03/2012 01:15 - Looking For Great Skiing-Don't Forget Our Neighbors To The North